Daphne Junior City Council
The vision for the Daphne Junior Council is to offer the youth of Daphne an opportunity to interact and affect the leadership of the City. Participants will be encouraged to learn about the processes of local government while offering advice and ideas on topics like parks, recreation, entertainment, traffic, law enforcement and environmental stewardship. Students will learn leadership skills and be given the opportunity to influence government activities to make a positive difference in their community. The City will benefit from involvement and perspective of the students.
The Daphne Junior Council members will have the duty and responsibility to:
- Serve as a liaison with the member’s school representative and City Council
- Attendance at one committee meeting per month and one council meeting per month, at minimum
- Assist in planning youth activities
- Participate in City Events
- Offer input on issues and opportunities facing the City
- Interact regularly with the City Clerk, Mayor and members of the City Council
- Applicants must be a high school Sophomore, Junior or Senior for the 2022-2023 school year. Eight (8) members shall live within Daphne city limits and one member (1) may be outside city limits
- Applicant must maintain a 2.5 GPA throughout the school year
- No disciplinary referrals that have resulted in an off-campus suspension
- Completed Application
- Minimum one-page essay explaining why you would like to be a part of the Daphne Junior City Council
- Two Letters of Recommendation (non-relative) with phone numbers - letters must be no more than one page typed
- A completed parental permission form
After careful review, selected students will be asked to interview with members of the Daphne City Council.
The current deadline for the 2023-2024 year is Monday, May 22, 2023 at 5:00pm.
For the Daphne Junior City Council By-Laws, click here.
For the Daphne Junior City Council Application, click here.